1. The dog is not allowed in the house.
2. Ok, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain parts.
3. Ok, the dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.
4. Ok, the dog can get on the old furniture only.
5. Fine, the dog allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.
6. Ok, the dog is allowed on the bed but at the foot of the bed only, and only when invited.
7. The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
8. The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only.
9. The dog can sleep under the covers every night.
10. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog.
Yes, this is what we have come to in our house. We have a king size bed but Lupita takes up more of it than the rest of us do. We are pushed to the edges of the bed. Lupita is a very small dog but when she sleeps she expands to her full length which is 2 feet. We are lucky there is any bed left for the rest of us to use. This is what dogs do best.